momstermash

Friday, October 13, 2006

LibraryThing is for me! Blog#2

Virtual communities are commonplace on the Internet today. My Space and FaceBook have thousands of members. Photographers share shots on Flickr and videotapes are viewed on YouTube. But… I am not a photographer and I do not shoot videos. I am too old for FaceBook and My Space. Where is there a social network for me?

Now… book lovers have a specific online community in which to socialize- http://www.librarything.com/.

LibraryThing was originally established to “catalog books online.” In the last 14 months, this public network has grown to over 80,000 members. The website is free to anyone who catalogs under 200 books, requires no software, and caters to book collectors.

After establishing an account, among other services, a subscriber can catalog his/her home library, request book suggestions, and connect with other bookworms who share this common interest.

Once a member catalogs at least five books, s/he can request a list of similar types of books. For example, I cataloged books by the author Kaye Gibbons. LibraryThing listed sixteen recommendations. I had already read eight. I promptly noted the other eight titles for future enjoyment.

In print or at http://www.slj.com/> current issue> A Book Lover’s My Space, John Kilma details the history, the organization, and the nuances of this social network for bibliophiles.

Kilma, John. "A Book Lover's My Space." School Library Journal Oct. 2006: 24.

3 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger Lyndy said...

Great site, Carol. Now I have a place to catalog and share my (under 200) Lincoln books.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I love LibraryThing too! It's such a great tool. My favorite part is seeing what other people who have the same books as me like to read. It's great reader's advisory! I didn't know about this site before class. Whenever I learn about these awesome websites, I always wonder what ELSE is out there that I just don't know about yet!

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Michael Stephens said...

I've used it as well...but I should use it more. I like the built in RSS feeds and tag clouds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home